EgypToz: Rebellious Dwayne

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Rebellious Dwayne

This film had this magical effect on me.
It changed my point of view in a devastating period of my life when I was totally depressed and confused, the time when I wanted to quit everything in life…family, friends, college, blogging …everything.

This is the master scene in the film…the wake up call that shook my head.
At this moment I decided to continue my
miserable life…to have a new start…and a new philosophy.
I wish I had had a chance to see Little Miss Sunshine before I chose the wrong path of the life I am stuck in right now.


Dwayne and Frank are chatting at the end of an old wooden bridge and looking at the open sea.
The atmosphere is foggy and the current is very strong.
The sea breeze is flicking Frank's hair. The wind is sculpting Dwayne's thin body shape with his black and white Nietzsche t-shirt.
Dwayne:
Sometimes I just wish
I could go to sleep till I was 18...
and skip all this crap... high school
and everything... just skip it.

Frank:
You know Marcel Proust?

Dwayne:
He's the guy you teach.

Frank:
Yeah.

French writer.
Total loser.

Never had a real job.

Unrequited love affairs. Gay.

Spent 20 years writing a book
almost no one reads.

But he's also probably
the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

Anyway, he, uh...
he gets down to the end of his life...

and he looks back and decides
that all those years he suffered...

Those were the best years of his life,
'cause they made him who he was.

All the years he was happy??? You know,
total waste. Didn't learn a thing.

So, if you sleep until you're 18...

ah, think of the suffering
you're gonna miss.

I mean, high school? High school...
Those are your prime suffering years.

You don't get better suffering
than that.

Dwayne turns his back to the sea, changing his forward-leaning posture to an upright standing position and says:
You know what?

Fuck beauty contests.

Life is one fucking
beauty contest after another.

You know, school,
then college, then work?

Fuck that.

And fuck the Air Force Academy.


If I wanna fly,
I'll find a way to fly.

You do what you love,
and fuck the rest.

The sea birds sounds are floating on rolling waves.
Frank says:
I'm glad you're talkin' again, Dwayne.

You're not nearly as stupid as you look.

Wanna go back?

Dwayne smiles:

Not really.

Dwayne looks back to the infinite sea and says:
Yeah, we should go back.


I am sure everyone will like this film.
This little indie won 2007 Oscar for original screenplay…no doubt this is the real comedy…and not Saad's next summer blockbuster KarKar.

Life is like a yellow van with a broken clutch and a faulty horn that will not stop honking ;-)

5 comments:

4thH said...

ياريت الموضوع بالسهوله دي
:((
..
افتكر كل واحد مصري مختلف شويه .. او له اهتمامات متعدده مر بالمرحله دي من حياته .. شخصيا عديت في اول السنه دي بمحنه عاصفه زي اللي انت مريت بيها .. و فقدت دافع الحياه اصلا .. و قعدت تلعب في دماغي افكار ان لازم تمشي في اللي بتحبه و ع الاقل تبقى سعيد فيه و لو شقيت في الباقي .. بس نتيجه واحده للاسف بتوصلها .. هي ان مش كل الناس بنفس الحظ .. و ان مش كل الناس ظروفها واحده .. و ان ببساطه في حاجات مش بايدك , رغم انك و انا و غيرنا بنحب جدا نكون متحكمين في حياتنا
..
غير كده الفيلم فعلا اكتر من جميل .. بس رومانتيكي قوي .. مش واقعي ابدا يا صاحبي
..
اللي قدرت اقنع بيه نفسي .. هو اني اخلق متعه من الشيء اللي انا متعاص فيه .. احاول انبسط بيه .. و اشيل من دماغي فكرة اني كارهه كارهه كارهه .. لان الزن ع المخ امر من السحر .. لو خلقت الدافع عشانه ممكن احبه
..
مش عارف برضه .. انا لسه في انعدام وزن
..
غير كده و في الاخر احب اقولك انب باحب مدونتك جدا جدا .. كنت بافكر النهارده انك موهوب قوي .. و احسن مدون بيكتب خواطر و افكار انا باقراله

WS said...

haisam(jarelkamar),
كلامك ده فعلا صح ميه فى الميه لو انت مصرى و عايش فى مصر ، فعلا الواحد فى مصر ما يقدرش يمشى على هواه و يعمل اللى نفسه فيه

انا مثلا متدبس فى مهنه بحاول زى ما انت قلت انى احبها ، الاقى على الاقل هدف بيها فى حياتى ، بس يا صاحبى لو الواحد جرب الناحيه التانيه من الشاطىء ، لو الواحد فعلا عاش و لو لمره بكامل حريته و عمل اللى نفسه فعلا يعمله فى حياته ، انت ماتتخيلش الواحد بيبقى سعيد قد ايه ، اصل المشكله انى جربت الوجه الاخر من الحياه ، و علشان كده صعب جدا الواحد يستمر على الحياه الزائفه التقليديه الروتينيه اللى انت مش متحكم فيهاو فى مصر ، كويس ان فى مصر مش كل الناس جربت العيشه على الجانب الاخر من الشاطىء ، يمكن بيسمعوا عنه فقط ، بس التجربه االعمليه بتفرق بجد ، علشان لو كانوا جربوا كان حصل انقلاب و تمرد غوغائى من زمان ، و اى واحد ما كانش حايسكت على اللى فيه ، و هيه دى اللى عملتلى لخبطيته فى دماغى ، و بقيت عامل زى البرغوت اللى نفسه يعيش بجد ، لانه داق مره طعم الحريه

عارف لو كنا كلنا حانتحاسب مع بعض ، كنت قلت ماشى ، ظروفنا صعبه و مشاكلنا مترابطه مع بعض، بس الواحد حايتحاسب فى الاخره لوحده، و على حياته بس، و هى دى المعضله

على فكره ده انا اتشرفت و سعيد جدا ان واحد مخضرم و مشهور و احسن مدون يقول لى كلام جميل كده زى اللى كتبته فى الاخر...شكرا

Harry Sufehmi said...

Totally able to relate to that. I was bullied since elementary school to high school. Thought it was the worst years of my life. But, those years actually enabled me to become independent. I don't need anyone else to exist. I can handle my problems on my own. Since I've had the worst, you can hit me with anything and I'd just go on.
Like a steel, it got burned and pounded on very hard many times, before it'll become a sword.

Anyway, since I still got pounded daily, I think God is still working to make me into a sword. So I'll just bear it. Life is a struggle, a non-stop quest to make oneself better everyday.

Death is my time for rest. Not afraid of it, and will happily wait for it.

M. El-Hajj said...

الفيلم عبقري فعلاً من أحلى الأفلام اللي شفتها في حياتي

بالمناسبة دي أول مرة ليَّ أعلق على مدونتك و زي هيثم حابب أقولك إن مدونتك فعلاً من أجمل المدونات العربية اللي قريتها

بتعجبني جداً

WS said...

zengy شكرا يا
الغريبه ان الفيلم لم يعرض فى السينمات المصريه حتى الآن و لا اعرف السبب

فهو فيلم بسيط و عائلى و يحمل قيمه فنيه عاليه

مدونتك جميله ايضا

من زمان كنت بتابع مدونه كيس فيشار و فكره اشتراك بعض الاصدقاء فى الكتابه عن السينما و الافلام حاجه جديده و كنت معجب جدا بالفكره

و لا اعلم لماذا حدث بعض الخمول فى الفتره الاخيره

لانى كنت متوقع للمدونه كيس فيشار انها تكون دليل المواطن المصرى للسينما
و ممكن تحسن من ذوقه و رؤيته للافلام

و "إفهم" بسيطه و جميله جدا
شكلك مشغول اوى فى الحياه فمعندكش وقت تكتب

zengyاكتب لإنك موهوب يا