EgypToz: A New Year's Eve in Cairo

Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Year's Eve in Cairo

It is 9:18 pm now and I do not know where to go…I want to celebrate the new year’s eve and I do not find a single person to go with me out…to do something…anything…where are the people…I do not know…is it just me or what…girls are sending me messages greeting me for Eid and new year …huh…and one of them sent me a message saying at the end…mabteb3tleesh missed leh…ok…I really don’t understand how Egyptian girls think…

Kingkong is with her best friends in Sharm for a house/trance party…she is a partyolic girl…I wished she was here to go out with her & Co…
I called Kiko but he had to study for exams after the Eid…and Miko is traveling with his family…and another one is studying now…and another one telling me that it is very cold outside and he feels the comfort in his house…in his bed…
what should I do now…I can not just stay at home and watch TV while eating popcorn…this could not be the day of my life…the day where I pass from a year to another…A.Y told me he will wait for his father to return home to tell him that he is going out…in other words to wait for his approval…then he will call me…mmm…I could not believe that…so I decided to go out and let’s see what will happen…
I told the taxi driver that I want to go to the Ahly club…we were on 6th October bridge when he ordered me to go out because he saw hundreds of cars waiting in lines…no time for arguing…I walked down the bridge to find a human explosion…thousands of people waiting in front of the Opera House to go to Mohamed Mounier’s concert…killing each other to buy a ticket from a small window…and policemen trying desperately to bring order to the place…someone told me he will not enter the concert because he wanted to see the fireworks…are they going to show us fireworks…great…but hey…couldn’t you see it from the concert…many teenagers got ticket from people who are already inside…a friend of them bought the ticket…35 pounds…then collected tickets from people inside and gave them to someone waiting outside through the fence…and this one give them to his friends to enter again with the same tickets…well…it is a good idea…why to buy a ticket when I can get it for free…this is not stealing…this is an Egyptian fahlawa…
I walked the Kasr El Nile bridge to see how the ordinary people enjoy this event by just sitting in front of the nile… I went then to Semiramis InterContinental Hotel to see if there is a party inside or something…it was 11:35 pm and A.Y did not call…in the elevator I was standing with people from the Egyptian high society…people I only see in television and magazines…and the glamour was shining form the party hall…and the music was excellent…when A.Y called it was 11:58pm…he told me he is waiting in front of Semiramis…the elevator did not want to come so I decided to take the emergency stairway…
Hey hey hey…stop here…what…I do not believe that…this was the last thing I could ever imagine…to spend the change from 2006 to 2007 in an empty room with no people and no voice or music...dim light and creepy atmosphere…what for an isolation…what for a loneliness…I had to take a picture of the place where I was when the clock showed 12:00…akhhhh…grrrr…bad bad bad…very bad…I will never forget this…this is a bad start…don’t be pessimistic guy…2007 is going to be a happy year…for you and for all of us…this is a good sign but you don’t understand it…
I went with A.Y to the Four Seasons Hotel…boring boring boring…a man was playing classical music and people were just eating…blah…he went to the bathroom…A.Y…don’t tell me you want to check your looks…not again…you are fine…you have to be more confident…I had a nice chat with the bathroom man…he told me he works in this bathroom for more than 8 hours a day…it was his dream to work in this hotel.…good for him…because I don’t mind to live in this bathroom….it is so elegant and beautiful…wow… A friend of A.Y called him to tell that there is a good party in a villa near Mansouria and another one in club35…should we go to Bliss…or Sangria… we decided not to go…it was late habibi…and very very very expensive…we went to the 27th floor to watch the fireworks….but there were no fireworks…mmm…what a city…hey…I want to live in a hotel…isn’t it nice to live in a hotel…to have this beautiful view of Cairo…
We went to Hard Rock Café…and guess…the ticket costs 350 pounds…no way…we just stood outside with the ordinary Egyptian youth watching sexy girls going in and out…
Then we sat in Grand Hayat hotel…we found out that everyone in Cairo was having the same problem…where to go in new year’s eve…nothing to do in this vivid city…we do not have money to go to expensive discos…people were just walking in the hotel’s lobby…and I had the feeling that everyone wanted to shout out loud: what a boring night…what a boring city…
I told A.Y : let’s go to Cairo Jazz Club…we went there...we could hear the good trance and house beats…we wanted to go in because the D.J was fabulous…the guard didn’t let us go in…he told us that this was a private party…ok man…thank you very much…good night…and good luck…

Finally we decided to go to my home…we ordered Pizza Hut which had no taste at all…although I told A.Y that it was great…because he was the one who ordered it…we ate pizza and ice cream and watched a DVD movie…American Beauty…and then his parents called him…so he had to go home…

He stood in front of my doorstep and said:brrr…it is soooo brrr cold outside…Happy new year…I hope you had a good time today

...we heard the fireworks boom…and I gave him a big smiley face

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, little do u know, but you actually had a good time! ;p hehe

You got to witness how almost everyone in Egypt would spend the new year!

Happy New Year WS :)

Anonymous said...

Hey WS,

I took the shortcut and stayed at home ... was chatting to Sou all the night.. I did enjoy my new year eve too

but you took a huge tour at Cairo Hotels.. I mean, it is about the journey not the destination.. besides, If u have told me, I would have gone out with you :P

But hell of a new year eve.. I wouldn't consider it boring though

Anonymous said...

Happy new year. I personally stayed home and enjoyed it. I see you've been all around, that should be a very memorable new year eve.
Instead of hopestarburst you can now find me at http://tootaslife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I spent New Years eve as usual. In my room, on my PC explaining to confused friends why I'm not outside, partying =)

WS said...

After reading this I have realized that this night was not boring at all.

Anonymous said...

You could have spared yourself the effort, stayed home, watched tv, or better yet prayed:)